Singaraja was once the center of trade on Bali, as well as the capital of the island. Traders from all over Asia have arrived here since the 10th century, trading goods like weapons and opium in change of fresh water, food, cattle and slaves. Singaraja means “lion king”, while there are no lions here, the name is in remembrance of an old palace built in 1604 by the mighty king Raja Panji Sakti.
Northern Bali was the first Balinese region under rule of the Dutch. This took place as early as 1848, 60 years ahead of the rest of the island. Over land this region were isolated from the rest of Bali until the Dutch in the 1920’s built a road towards the south. The population is mainly Hindus, but also many Chinese and Muslims. Northern Bali is today under the administration of the Buleleng district.